Monday, April 12, 2010

Chapter 1: Teachers & Sumo Wrestlers

This chapter wasn't really what I expected. I did however enjoy it a lot. I feel like it is very easy to underestimate incentives. Incentives however are virtually everywhere though so a better awareness of them will help people understand why people do things. I would have never expected a teacher to change a students answers on a standardized test but knowing what I know now it doesn't seem quite as far-fetched. After all, the student isn't the only one with an incentive for them to do well on the test. I think maybe we give teachers the benifit of the doubt because they have a teaching degree and they are good citizens. But in actuality they are merely human just like anyone else and being human they are not immune to the temptation of cheating to advance.

The sumo wrestling doesn't come as much of a shock to me because knowing that the band of wrestlers is pretty close makes it seem like they may just be helping a friend out. If I was in a similar situation, having the ability to let a friend beat me knowing that it would help him and not hurt me, I would surely do it. After all what are friends for?

No comments:

Post a Comment